91.7 Ann Arbor/Detroit 104.1 Grand Rapids 91.3 Port Huron 89.7 Lansing 91.1 Flint
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Here's what you need to know about Michigan's new recreational marijuana rules

Michigan recreational marijuana sales are a step closer to becoming a reality.

Michigan is another step closer to having recreational marijuana businesses.

Last Wednesday, Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency released emergency regulations for businesses planning on entering the recreational marijuana retail marketplace. 

Here are some key points that you should know about these regulations.

To support more reporting like this, consider giving to Michigan Radio today.

So, can I buy pot now?

Retail sales are in sight, but still months away.

Come November 1, 2019, the Marijuana Regulatory Agency will begin accepting business license applications and are likely to start approving business licenses by December 6, 2019. 

Can I buy marijuana once businesses are approved?

If you are a licensed adult-use or medical cardholder, yes. 

Licensed businesses will allow adults 21 years of age and older to consume marijuana and cannabis products on the premises. The sale of food or alcohol at those businesses will not be permitted. 

Additionally, adult-use home delivery will be an option if you are at a designated consumption establishment or at any residence. Medical home delivery will only be administered to registered marijuana cardholders. 

Will I be able to buy pot in my community?

It depends! Cities and Townships have until November 1st of this year to ban businesses.

As reported on MLive, since November 2018 when Michigan voters chose to legalize, more than 600 communities have passed a ban on adult-use marijuana businesses. You could already be living in a community with a ban, which may or may not be temporary, depending on how cities and townships interpret these new regulations. 

What do the rules mean for growers and micro-businesses?

Both growers and micro-businesses may accept the transfer of marijuana seeds, tissue cultures, and clones from another grower licensed under the adult-use law or the medical marijuana law.

If you are a Class A grower or micro-business, you may accept the transfer of marijuana plants one time from a registered primary caregiver so long as the caregiver was an applicant for that license.

What if I’m already licensed to sell medical marijuana but want to have an adult-use license? 

You can apply for an adult-use license. And better yet, your application will be expedited if there are not any changes in ownership. 

All adult-use applicants are required to submit a social equity plan. This will detail a strategy to promote and encourage participation in the marijuana industry by people from communities that have been disproportionately impacted by marijuana prohibition and enforcement and to positively impact those communities.

Are there benefits to having an adult-use license over a medical license?

With an adult-use license, it's easier to start a recreational-use marijuana business than a medical marijuana business. There are no capitalization requirements for adult-use licenses and fewer financial documents are requested from applicants. Additionally, the cost difference in licensing fees for recreational businesses is significantly lower of that for a medical businesses. 

Want to support more reporting like this? Consider making a gift to Michigan Radio today.

Related Content