91.7 Ann Arbor/Detroit 104.1 Grand Rapids 91.3 Port Huron 89.7 Lansing 91.1 Flint
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
On this page you'll find all of our stories on the city of Detroit.Suggest a story here and follow our podcast here.

Book aims to reframe outsider narratives of Detroit

GM's Headquarters in downtown Detroit. GM's Akerson says he "wants compensation for hourly workers to more closely mirror that of white-collar employees and executives." - Wall Street Journal
Rich Evenhouse
Flickr - http://bit.ly/1rFrzRK
Rebecca Kinney said Detroit's downtown area, which has seen a revival in recent years, only makes up about 5% of the city. What about the other 95%?

How do we talk about Detroit?

In the 80's and 90's, the focus was on crime and urban decay. Detroit was the "Murder City." Today, the narrative is one of possibility and resurgence.

But both of those depictions were largely imposed by outsiders, and were, at best, incomplete.Rebecca Kinney explores the narratives of Detroit's history in her book Beautiful Wasteland: The Rise of Detroit as America's Postindustrial Frontier.

She joined Stateside to discuss her book. It explores the negative stories that have shaped the narrative of "Detroit's downfall" and the perceptions of the city's recent revival.

Listen to the full interview above to learn of narratives dating back to the Henry Ford days, as well as Kinney's thoughts on Detroit's downtown redevelopment.

This segment originally aired on Jan. 2, 2017.

(Subscribe to the Stateside podcast on iTunesGoogle Play, or with this RSS link)

Stateside is produced daily by a dedicated group of producers and production assistants. Listen daily, on-air, at 3 and 8 p.m., or subscribe to the daily podcast wherever you like to listen.
Related Content