Stateside: what new trade deal means for auto industry; will electric scooters work in Detroit?
Today on Stateside, why the auto industry is breathing "a sigh of relief" after President Trump announced the trilateral trade deal that will replace NAFTA. Plus, an Oscoda resident shares his experience of being affected by PFAS contamination, kicking off Michigan Radio's week-long series on contamination by the chemicals across the state.
Listen to the full show above or find individual segments below.
Auto industry breathes “sigh of relief” as U.S. finalizes trade deal with Mexico, Canada
- Kristin Dziczek, Vice President of the Industry, Labor, and Economics Group at the Center for Automotive Research, weighs in on the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), what's changed under the new trilateral agreement, and what it means for consumers.
Voter Voices: candidates should “focus more on the people”
- We've been sending reporters and producers across the state to ask people two questions: What are the most important issues for you as a Michigan voter? What concerns you most about our political climate right now? Today, we hear from Sula Hadin from Hamtramck, and Leah Lynch from Fenton.
Bacon: Fans grumble about the Lions, a look at college football, and the Red Wings’ new season
- Michigan Radio's sports commentator John U. Bacon on the Lions' Sunday night loss against the Cowboys, the latest in college football, and what to expect from the Red Wings as their season kicks off this Thursday.
Are electric scooters in Detroit a nuisance or an innovative transportation solution?
- Steve Remias, an assistant professor at Wayne State University, weighs in on the pros and cons of the "scooter revolution" sweeping Detroit with the arrival of dockless electric scooters.
Son of a state legislator who pushed for stricter PBB regulations now grapples with PFAS contamination in his own community
- Tony Spaniola talks about his experience as a homeowner in Oscoda, MI after he learned that his family cottage fell inside the "zone of concern" for PFAS contamination from the nearby Wurtsmith Air Force Base.
RASA Festival features traditional Indian art alongside modern artists
- Akshara founder Sreyashi Dey talks about her experience directing this year's Rasa festival, a multi-arts celebration that showcases elements of Indian culture in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti community.
Support for arts and culture coverage is supported in part by an award from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs.